Saturday, June 24, 2006

Truth in Advertising

I received a marketing letter from a salesperson recently. It read, in part, "I hope you'll consider me one of your friends. Everyone needs a friend they can trust with such important matters as their security and investments. Would you place this kind of trust and confidence in me? You may ask, 'Why should I?' Here are a few reasons: (1) I am honest. I don't shade the truth. My word is good; (2) I am reliable. If I tell a client I'll do something, wild horses won't stop me from doing it; (3) I have time for you; (4) I have a code of ethics that I have sworn to do business and live by; (5) I live here and have pride in and concern for our community; (6) If you give me the chance, I promise that I'll prove that I care and that I'm highly capable of serving your best interests."

At the bottom of the page, in very small print, reads, "Information deemed to be reliable, although not guaranteed." Hmmm.

No comments: